Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lip Therapy

It's that time of year when lips turn from pouty and pretty to dry and cracked. I don't know about you but winter wrecks havoc on my skin, hair, and lips. This is the first winter I can remember that I have not had to slather on some kind of lip moisturizer hourly to keep my lips from becoming chapped. I have discovered some great products and home remedies that have kept my lips looking their best during these dry, cold winter months. Here are my healthy lip remedies: 

I stopped wearing lipstick in the winter which would always dry out my lips. I use lipgloss instead and it's made a big difference. 

MAC Cosmetics Dazzleglass Like Venus - My new favorite

I finally discovered a perfect lip balm - Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. It's all natural and it works so much better than the petroleum-based lip balms I used to use.  It also has peppermint oil in it that gives it that cooling and refreshing feeling.


A natural home remedy that I love is a lip scrub which will help exfoliate the dead skin on your lips, leaving them soft and moisturized. One of my favorite blogs, Pink Pistachio, has a delicious lip scrub that uses raw honey, raw sugar, lemon juice, and coconut oil. Click here for the recipe.

Picture from Pink Pistachio 

Speaking of coconut oil, it is another natural home remedy I use for soothing and healing dry lips. You can find it near the other cooking oils at your local grocery store (I use Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - it smells heavenly). Coconut oil is rich in vitamin E & K, polyphenols, and fatty acids that moisturize your skin without causing breakouts. Just put a small amount on your lips as needed to help heal and protect. 


This is a little off subject, but coconut oil is also great for your skin and hair. It helps heal damaged skin and restore your body's natural oils. It is a solid oil, so place it in a jar of warm water to liquify it and then massage it into your skin.

When Coconut oil is applied to your hair will make it shiner, stronger, and may even promote growth. It is also a natural dandruff treatment. Apply a quarter size amount throughout damp hair then wrap with a towel or cover hair with a shower cap for about 30-60 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.

No comments: