Monday, December 17, 2012

Homemade Turkey Dinner Dog Treats

One of my favorite things to make at Christmas time are dog treats. All of my family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors know this about me. I just feel like our furry friends need a treat for Christmas, too. 


Dogs go crazy for this recipe. It's super easy to make and only takes a few simple ingredients. The secret ingredient: Baby Food. There is nothing artificial added to baby food and it's already cooked, pureed, and ready to add to your recipe.


The dog bone cookie cutters can be found at Petsmart. Now you are ready to get started.


Homemade Turkey Dinner Dog Treats


1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup Quick Oats
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2  3.5 oz. Containers of Sweet Potato and Turkey Baby Food (see above)
1 Egg
1/4 cup Water (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Mix dry ingredients together - flour, corn meal, oats, and garlic powder. Then add wet ingredients - baby food and egg. Add water only if dough is really dry - add slowly until desired texture. Mix well until a ball of dough forms.


Roll dough out until it is about 1/3-inch to 1/2-inch thick. My dough was sticky so I put flour on the counter top and rolling pin. Cut shapes. Press dough back together, roll out, and cut again. Repeat until you are out of dough.


Put dog treats on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. 


Then hand out delicious treats to all the favorite dogs in your life. Tell them to refrigerate them if they aren't going to eat them right away - but if they are like my dogs, they will never make it to the refrigerator. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Diane said...

I seriously love this about you Michele! I have thought of you countless times and how sweet and unexpected it was to receive some of your homemade goodies for my own little fur baby. This is such a cute idea.

Marisa Jean said...

Oh, Michele...I love this. Giggle. You know I love your tenderness for animals, and this is no exception. So fun for your fur babies.