Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Top Five: Super Healthy Foods I Am Loving Now

If you are addicted to processed foods and sweets like I am was (it's a process) then you need to know that these foods may require a little getting used to. Nobody is going to go from cupcakes to kale overnight, but overtime it will get easier. Here are the new super foods I have added to my diet that I am loving now:

Acai


Acai (pronounced Ah Sigh EE) berries are a good source of antioxidants, fiber, and heart-healthy fats. I buy acai smoothie packs (organic unsweetened acai puree) at my local health food store which I add to fruit smoothies.

Kale


I cannot even list all the health benefits of kale - well I could, but it would take a while. There is a reason kale is known as the "queen of the greens." It is one of the healthiest veggies on the planet and is full of disease fighting antioxidants. Add it to your salads, blend it in a green smoothie, or roast it to make it into a healthy crunchy snack (2 cups kale, 1-2 tsp. olive oil, and salt. Toss to coat and then bake at 425 for 6-8 minutes - until crunchy like a potato chip). Or you can try this recipe for Sesame-Kale Crisps.

Chia Seeds


Chia seeds are very rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. They also provide fiber, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc. When eaten, the chia seeds form a gel that can make you feel fuller longer and helps clean out your digestive system. You can sprinkle them on salads, put them in yogurt, or blend them in smoothies. I put a tablespoon in my green smoothie every day.

Quinoa


Quinoa (pronounced KEEN Wah) is a grain-like seed that contains all 9 essential amino acids making it a complete protein. Quinoa can also help the body absorb more nutrients with the help from its natural minerals, potassium, and manganese. If you have never tried quinoa check out 10 New Ways To Cook Quinoa.

Naked Green Machine


Obviously this is a drink, not a food, but it's full of super foods. Juicing is an awesome health benefit but I haven't bought my own juicer yet so instead I bought this super healthy, all-natural Naked Green Machine. It has the juice of 2 3/4 apples, 1/2 banana, 1/3 kiwi, 1/3 mango, hint of pineapple, plus spirulina, chlorella, broccoli, spinach, blue green algae, garlic, barley grass, wheat grass, ginger, and parsley. And guess what? It actually tastes good.

1 comment:

Marisa Jean said...

It would just take one week of living at your house to make me a healthy person. I've never even heard of half this stuff. I really need to get out more.